Managing Integrated Marketing Communication
“Marketing communication are the means by which firms attempt to inform, persuade, and remind consumers”. It may be directly–indirectly. It’s about about the product and brands they sell.
Why companies focus on managing integrated marketing communication?
Modern marketing calls for more than developing a good product, pricing it attractively and making it accessible. Companies must also communicate with their present and potential stakeholders and the general public. For most marketers, therefore the question is not whether to communicate but rather what to say.How and when to say it. To whom and how often.
Consumers can turn to hundreds of cable and satellite TV channels, thousands of magazines, newspapers and millions of internet pages. They are taking a more active role in deciding what communication they want to receive. And how they want to communicate to others about the products and services they use. To effectively reach and influence target markets, holistic marketers are creatively employing multiple forms of communications
Changing marketing communications environment
Technology and other factors have profoundly changed the way of managing integrated marketing communication. Even though they choose to process them at all. In south Asian countries, before the advent of television- especially satellite television broadcasting, companies had limited options to communicate with their target audience. Most companies had to resort to geographically specific media. For example wall paintings, leaflets, and local promotional activity to communicate their message to customers. However at a fast pace technological advancement took place.
In this new communication environment although advertising is often central element of marketing communication program. It is usually not the only one- or even the most important one – for sales and to increase brand equity. Internet marketing has also shown a impact full challenge to traditional advertising. Many companies have started releasing huge funds for digital marketing too. You can click on the hyperlink post reading this article to know more on digital marketing. I have written separate article on that. Usually while writing i refer for resources on internet and books too. I turn raw fruit into juice and present it to you in a simplest manner with examples.
Marketing communication mix by which companies decides which media to use for proper communication. How much budget for which media?
Marketing communication mix
The marketing communication mix consists of 8 major modes of communication:
- Advertising – Any paid form of non personal presentation of information via:Print media( newspapers and magazines). Broadcast media( Radio and television). Network media( telephone, cable,satellite, wireless), and display media( bill boards, sign boards, posters).
- Sales promotion – A variety of short term incentives to encourage trial or purchase of a product or service including consumers promotion( sample and coupon).
- Events and experiences – Company sponsored activities and programs designed to create daily or special brand related interactions with consumers, including sports, arts, entertainment.
- Public relations and publicity- A variety of programs directed internally to employees of the company or externally to consumers, other firms, the government, and media to promote or protect a company’s image or its individual public relations.
- Direct marketing – Use of email, telephone, fax, email, or internet to communicate directly with of solicit response or dialogue(conversation) from a specific customers and prospects.
- Interactive marketing- online activities and programs designed to engage customers or prospects and directly or indirectly raise awareness, improve image, or elicit sales of products and services.
- Word of mouth – People to people oral, written, or electronic communications that relate to the merits or experiences of purchasing or using product or services. This is also extended to and known as viral marketing.
- Personal selling – Face to face interaction with one or more prospective buyer for the purpose of making presentations, answering questions, and procuring orders.
Every medium has its own importance but the most important thing is choose them wisely and set budget need specific. Now a days marketers are shifting their interest towards digital marketing. Digital marketing is creating a greater impact now a days. I am not gonna write on digital marketing, I have written article separately on digital marketing. More of it traditional marketing is losing its impact. But still always follow guidelines for choosing media so that you can achieve desired results with marketing communication mix. Thus managing integrated marketing communication is an important aspect followed by your quality product/services.
Hope this article helped you to understand about integrated marketing communication.